Sunday, April 25, 2010

Took a new shooter and gun to the range...

Last Thursday I got to take my eleven year old daughter to the range. She has wanted to go for a while but I haven't had anything I thought she would be comfortable shooting (she is tiny!). I picked up the Mossberg Plinkster a few weeks ago and figured it would be perfect for her.

It rained all day, but any day shooting is a great day. The shooting positions at this range are all covered, we did get a little wet walking out to put targets up.

We started out with the Plinkster from 25 yards. Right out of the box it was shooting way low. We made a few major adjustments to get it on the paper, then fine tuned it from there.
This was one of her first targets after getting the weapon dialed in. Not bad for a brand new shooter.
Here she is on the 25 yard range.

We finished up on the 25 yard range with her trying out the Hi-Point 9mm. She appeared to be a little afraid of the pistol. While we talked about the recoil prior to her shooting, it was still more than she was expecting, especially after shooting the Plinkster.

We moved to the 50 yard range next. She did an excellent job of adjusting from the 25 yard to the 50 yard. We didn't make any adjustments to the Plinkster sights at all.

These are two of her target from 50 yards.

I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud of my little one. She was safe, followed all the rules and had a good time, and she shot well too! You can't ask for more than that.

The Mossberg Plinkster was awesome. It is a fun little shooter. We put about 350 rounds through it and never had a problem. One bit of advice, if you pick one of these up, clean it well before shooting. I cleaned mine prior to taking it out to the range and it was nasty. They juice these up well with some kind of oil and dirt really sticks to it. Give it a nice cleaning and oiling before shooting or you are likely to have some jams.

I'm thinking about putting on a cheap scope in the next few weeks. When I do I will be sure to take pictures and document the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment