Saturday, June 19, 2010

Billy the Exterminator...

The first time I watched this show, I had my doubts. Who would want to watch a show about the day to day life of an exterminator? But I watched anyway. The more times I saw the show, the more I realized there are some very good lessons to be learned from it.

Here's a good lesson, be comfortable in your own skin. Billy is a little on the eccentric side, he doesn't look or act like your average exterminator. He doesn't care, he his comfortable in his own skin. He lives his life how he wants to live it and it doesn't matter how anyone else views him. I use Billy as an example to my youngest daughter. She is always concerned with how other people are going to view her. My wife and I keep trying to tell her that it doesn't matter what other people think or if they like you, you have to like your self. If you don't like yourself, there isn't much chance that other people are going to like you.

I have always been comfortable with myself. I never cared if people liked me or not, I still don't. I try to be the best person I can be everyday, if that's not good enough for the people around me, too bad. I'm not going to change the person I am in order for people to like me. This is what I am trying to instill upon my youngest.

My older daughter could care less about what people think of her. She is a little on the eccentric side herself. She is very artistic and you know how those people can be (grin). How my children, who are only 3 years apart can be so very different still blows my mind.

The next lesson to be learned from Billy the Exterminator is always provide excellent customer service. No matter what business you are in, there are a hundred other guys doing exactly the same thing you are. Some of them may even be cheaper than you. What will separate you from the herd is your customer service. At work, I try to treat every customer like they are the only one I have. Billy the Exterminator provides some of the best customer service I have seen. He is always upbeat, keeps his customers informed, completes his work in an efficient manner, cleans up after himself, and then follows up with the customer. He is also willing to do the jobs most other people turn down.

I will never spend money twice with someone who does not provide me with good customer service. There is some statistical data in the retail world that says if a customer is happy with you they probably won't tell anyone, but if they are dissatisfied they will tell ten people. Negative word of mouth is even more effective than positive.

I do try to tell people when I receive good service, it's only fair to the business who impressed me. For instance, there is a Japanese Steakhouse across the street from where I work, the service is excellent, the prices are fair and the food is top notch. Most times when we go there for lunch, we will be the only people in the place. I tell everyone I can about it because it is rare to find good prices, good food and good service all in the same restaurant. It would be a shame for them to go out of business.

Another good lesson to be learned from Billy the Exterminator is this, clean your nasty houses. Holy crap, this poor guy has to go into some of the nastiest houses I have ever seen. Don't these people get the link between their disgusting house and the horrible roach infestation they have going on? Some of the places he has gone I think it would have been easier to fight the roaches by setting the house on fire.

If you have a chance, give Billy the Exterminator a look. He is on A&E on Wednesday nights at 10/9c. Here is a link to the A&E website that will give you more information...

No comments:

Post a Comment